Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

What type of oil should be used in a small engine?

Motor oils are formulated differently according to different climate conditions. In warmer climates, most engines will need thicker oil. In colder climates, engines need oil that is thinner. Oils are measured by thickness or viscosity (how fast they flow). For example, 40-weight oil is thicker than 30-weight oil. Using the wrong oil can cause problems with starting and fuel consumption. Always make sure to follow the engine manufacturer’s recommendations usually found in the owner’s manual.

Can I turn or space the wheels on my riding mower for a wider stance?

The drive wheels should not be turned around nor attempted to be spaced as any wheel offset or wheel change could result in broken wheel motor shafts. The rims are usually designed with a specific offset to center them on the wheel motor.

How often should my mower, ATV, tractor or snow blower be serviced?

Depending on use, on average, manufacturers recommend servicing your equipment at least once a year. As additives in the fuel break down and if the oil and gas are left to settle over long periods of time, sludge and a gummy residue could form. This residue can cause engines to “hunt and surge” and in some cases, break down. Also, key lubricating points could be blocked resulting in rapid and excessive wear which could lead to complete engine failure.

How long can old gas last in a small engine that hasn't been running for awhile??

With unused gas left in the tank, the ethanol component will ultimately have an impact in changing the liquid fuel into solids. These solids will cause the fuel valves to clog making it very difficult if not impossible to start and/or run the engine smoothly. It is recommended that prior to extended periods of not running, you should run your machine until the fuel runs out.